The following information is an overview for parents. Please see below for the following information:
- About the AppCard
- Meal Accounts vs. Express Accounts
- Refund Policy
- AppCard Online Parental Access
About the AppCard
The AppCard, Appalachian State University's photo ID card, is issued to all students and serves as campus identification.
The AppCard Office, part of Appalachian Food Services, is responsible for issuing all AppCards.
Location / Phone
170 Stadium Drive
|Monday – Friday|
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
When Will My Student Get An AppCard?
AppCards are issued to all students upon their arrival on campus.
- Students receive their first AppCard at Freshmen Orientation.
- The general fees paid by students include the charge for the first AppCard.
- There is a nominal charge for replacement cards. Click here for Costs & Fees.
These cards are electronically encoded to provide access to campus events and facilities. The AppCard also provides access to Meal Accounts and Appalachian Express Accounts.
What Does the AppCard Access?
The AppCard provides access to:
- Meal Plan Accounts
- Express Accounts
- Library checkouts
- Residence Halls
- Recreation facilities
- Intercollegiate events
- Many other services offered by App State
Meal Accounts vs. Express Accounts
Students access both accounts with the AppCard, but what's the difference? Do they need both?
- Are required for students who live in residence halls. Students living off-campus may elect to have a Meal Account.
- Can be used anytime, anywhere for any on-campus food or food-related purchase. No restrictions!
- Cannot be used off campus.
- Operate on a declining balance system, allowing students to decide where and when to spend their money. All food items are priced a la Carte.
- Can be reloaded with additional funds if need be.
- Balances carry over from fall to spring semester and end on May Commencement.
- Are non-refundable.
Please visit the Meal Accounts page for complete details.
- Are optional accounts primarily used for on-campus incidental purchases, such as laundry, printing, Health Services charges, Bookstore purchases, etc. Students living off campus or students who have exhausted their Meal Account can use Express Account funds for on-campus food purchases.
- Cannot be used off campus.
- Operate on a declining balance system.
- Are activated with a funds deposit and can be added to at any time.
- Balances carry over each year that a student is enrolled at Appalachian. Funds must be used or if applicable, a refund requested before a student separates from the university.
- At separation from the university, Express Account balances greater than $55.00 are refundable minus a $50.00 service charge.
Please visit the Express Accounts page for complete details.
What is the Refund Policy?
Click here for Meal and Express Account Refund Policies.
AppCard Online Parental Access
Your student can give you guest access to his/her AppCard Services Online account. This is separate from the Parent Portal.
AppCard Services Online allows card holders to:
- Grant Guest Access
- Make Deposits Online (guests may make deposits without account access)
- Set Low Balance Warnings & Request Money
- Report Lost or Stolen Cards
- View Account Activity
- View Recent Deposits
Make Deposits Online
You do not need Guest Access to make a deposit:
- Click the "Deposit Now" link on the AppCard website to be redirected to a secure site where you can make a deposit using Discover, MasterCard or Visa.
- Click "Deposit Now" again. This will redirect you to the deposit page.
- Enter the requested information to make a deposit:
- Enter the student's Banner ID number. Please verify this number to ensure that the deposit goes into the correct account.
- Select the plan into which you are depositing from the drop down menu.
- Select the amount. You may select one of the preset amounts or enter another amount of greater than $50. There is a $50 minimum to make a deposit online.
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive a receipt.
- Enter your Discover, MasterCard or Visa number.
- Enter the Expiration date.
Accessing AppCard Online
Students can "Grant Additional Access" from the right hand Personalize menu after accessing AppCard Online. They can use this page to let friends and family have access to their account. Guests will get their own password and access so they can view their student's activity and make deposits without assistance. Students may select specific areas of access for guests. They will need email addresses for each guest and a maximum of 10 guests may be granted access. Guest(s) will receive an email with a unique password to be used for login.
Please visit AppCard Services Online for complete details.