What do I do if I lose my AppCard?

AppCards are returned to the AppCard office and kept on file. You can pick your card up and have it reactivated at no additional charge. Here are some other tips:

  • Report a lost or stolen card immediately to the AppCard Office so it can be invalidated.
  • After 5 p.m. and on weekends, contact University Police or log into your AppalNET account to deactivate your AppCard online.
  • The person to whom the AppCard is issued is responsible for its use, including any misuse. If your card is lost or stolen, you will be held responsible until it is reported lost or stolen.
  • Once a new AppCard is made, your accounts are reactivated. Lost cards remain inactive.
  • There is a nominal charge for replacement cards. Click here for Costs & Fees.

What do I do if I want a refund on my Express Account funds?

Express Account balanced greater than $55 can be refunded if requested. A $50 administrative fee applies. Refunds will be given once a year to students who request it by the last working day before May Commencement. Requests must be made through the AppCard office in the lower level of Trivette Hall. See more information here.


What is the difference between a Meal Account and an Express Account?

Both the Meal Account and Express Account operate on a declining balance system.

Meal Account is mandatory for students living on campus, and can be used to purchase any food on campus.

An Express Account is an optional account for all students and can be used for all food on campus as well as books, laundry, tickets and more. 


What are the levels for the meal plans, and how many meals a week do I get with each?

The details for meal plan can be found online. There are no meals-per-week equivalents because Meal Accounts operate on a declining balance. Like a pre-paid gift card, students are only charged the price of what they choose each time they make a purchase. For example, if a student buys a breakfast of eggs and bacon then he/she will only be charged for eggs and bacon. This makes it hard to calculate how many meals per week the plan translates into because all students have different eating habits. 


I signed up for a meal plan, but I can’t remember which one. How can I check?

Incoming first-years who would like to check their meal plan selection can call the AppCard office (828-262-6141).


I signed up for a meal plan, but now I would like to change my selection, or cancel my meal plan. How do I do that?

Students who would like to change their meal plan can call the AppCard office (828-262-6141) to change their plan. Plans must be changed or canceled before the student is billed for that semester.


Does my meal plan money roll over?

Meal plans do roll over from fall to spring semester, but are forfeited after May Commencement. This means any unused funds from December will still be on the account when students return from winter break in January. However, any funds left after May Commencement will be forfeited.


Is it possible to be exempt from the meal plan requirement?

Students living in the residence halls are required to purchase a meal plan, with the exception of those students living in Appalachian Heights. Students who wish to be exempt for medical reasons may contact the Office of Disability Services