Dependent Information

Dependent AppCards

The AppCard Office is responsible for issuing  AppCards. The appropriate form must be completed at the AppCard Office. 

Dependents requesting AppCards must be accompanied by the Appalachian student or employee, and the appropriate forms must be completed. Dependents of permanent employees (faculty and staff) and retired employees qualify for an AppCard and associated privileges:

  • Students and permanent or retired employees of Appalachian State University may request Dependent AppCards. Dependents of temporary employees and adjunct faculty are not eligible for AppCards and the associated privileges.
  • Dependents under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult while using university facilities.
  • There is a nominal fee for these cards. 

For AppCard purposes, dependents are defined as:

  • Spouses
  • Domestic Partners: Two adults, not legally married, in an intimate and committed relationship who share the same address.
  • Children under 19 years of age living at home.
  • Children 19 years or older who qualify as a dependent for federal income tax purposes. Specifically, this means that the child is currently enrolled as a full-time student.

Dependent Privileges

Dependent Campus Cash

  • Students and employees can set up and deposit funds into their dependents' Campus Cash account at the AppCard Office.
  • Campus Cash operates on a declining balance system and is accepted at various on-campus locations.
  • Campus Cash cannot be used off campus and funds cannot be withdrawn as cash.
  • Dependents cannot be linked to student or employee Meal Plan or Campus Cash accounts.

University Libraries

  • Retirees, Spouses & Partners can check out materials and request interlibrary loans (ILL)
  • Use your retiree AppCard
  • Off-campus database access is only available to emeritus faculty

Please go to the University Libraries website for additional information.

Student Recreation Center Access

  • Recreation Facility access may be given to student-dependent (s) only for the semesters the student is registered to attend.
  • Students must pay institutional fees to qualify.

Faculty/Staff Recreation Center Access

Recreation Facility access may be given to a permanent employee or retired employee's dependent(s) for a monthly fee:

  • Permanent employees should fill out UREC's Payroll Deduction Form to request individual or family access to campus recreation facilities.
  • This form must be mailed via campus mail or faxed to the AppCard Office (828-262-6144).
  • There is a monthly fee for recreation center access.
  • Retired employees must pay for dependent access through direct payments. Please contact the AppCard Office for details.

NOTE: Each area of the university has the right to determine what services are provided to persons holding Dependent AppCards. Please address questions in individual areas.

For more information on obtaining a Dependent AppCard, visit Getting an AppCard.